Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) what do you think about(off topic) (Read 10,074 times)
K
Ex Member

Re: what do you think about(off topic)
Reply #15 - 20. Apr 2010 at 04:04
Print Post  

Well I wasn't going to comment because I haven't seen this movie but I will state that I have no desire to ever see it not because there's a young girl swearing like a sailor but because I do not like or appreciate mindless, gratuitous violence. I am not at all opposed to violence in movies when there is a reason for it but outrageously excessive violence just for the sake of violence in an attempt to shock, is a huge turn-off to me.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #16 - 20. Apr 2010 at 05:44
Print Post  
I concur wholeheartedly with K.

Oh, and if Joseph assumes I was referring to him, I wasn't, I was making a general statement that applies to anyone and no-one in particular.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #17 - 22. Apr 2010 at 05:50
Print Post  
If hit girl had been hit boy who do you think would have  been good? I think maybe natahn gamble or jimmy bennet.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #18 - 23. Apr 2010 at 04:51
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 18. Apr 2010 at 18:07:
My whole point was that I WASN'T criticizing it because of a few swear words, but because of the more important overall content and the point it was making.

I don't know why I thought it would be possible to say a few things here and be understood.

QUANTUM: Could you delete my account please? Or ban me or something? I keep thinking that I can just browse this website and resist the urge to post, but it's really hard for me to do so. I think the only way I can achieve that is if my account was removed. If there's a way to ban me from the forum without banning me from the database, it would be great, because I'd like to keep rating movies, just not participate in discussions.

Thanks.

Nope. Don't do it Quantum. I hope you don't resist the impulse to post and get involved in the discussions josephk. Your information and insights are of value to many of us here regardless of some of the disagreements and petty bickering that goes on here although it shouldn't. After all we are all playing on the same team. Or so I thought.  Huh

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 23. Apr 2010 at 10:13
Print Post  
Phenom wrote on 23. Apr 2010 at 04:51:
josephk wrote on 18. Apr 2010 at 18:07:
My whole point was that I WASN'T criticizing it because of a few swear words, but because of the more important overall content and the point it was making.

I don't know why I thought it would be possible to say a few things here and be understood.

QUANTUM: Could you delete my account please? Or ban me or something? I keep thinking that I can just browse this website and resist the urge to post, but it's really hard for me to do so. I think the only way I can achieve that is if my account was removed. If there's a way to ban me from the forum without banning me from the database, it would be great, because I'd like to keep rating movies, just not participate in discussions.

Thanks.

Nope. Don't do it Quantum. I hope you don't resist the impulse to post and get involved in the discussions josephk. Your information and insights are of value to many of us here regardless of some of the disagreements and petty bickering that goes on here although it shouldn't. After all we are all playing on the same team. Or so I thought.  Huh

I agree with Phenom, as you know. No matter what your differences/ disputes with any others here are, that is no justification to abandon posting on the forum. When you set your mind to posting an informative, thoughtful post, you are one of the best posters here. It would be a regrettable mistake for you to quit posting. So what if you don't like and can't get along with some posters here? Don't allow them to dictate what you do. Post away and be yourself! Don't worry about anything else. Zen. To quote Bruce Lee: "Be water, my friend".

IP Logged

St Mule
Silver Member

Reply #20 - 23. Apr 2010 at 14:46
Print Post  
pseudo-intellectual me?  No, intellectual.  Smiley

As to the original question, it really wouldn't be much difference if it were a boy because those that criticize language are for the most part those that want to preserve the image of the innocent child.  (Which there is a great photography book about that one topic.)

I went to this movie with a friend and I can't base any of my comments based on the audience reaction because there were only three people in the whole theater.  It was a middle of the week early showing.  My friend wanted to see it just because of the controversy and he likes young actresses.

Now my opinion of this film is that it was a waste of money to make if you want something to stimulate your mind.  It plays to the baser levels of instinct more than making you think.  A comment from my friend as I pointed out some of the flaws is that I was over thinking the movie.  Just to let you know, he picked it apart because he is an intellectual too.  Smiley

I think this paraphrase is from Gladiator but if not forgive me.  In the movie one Roman senator said 'the mob is Rome' meaning that if you keep them entertained then you control the empire.  I see our 'entertainment' industry putting out gladiator type movies to entertain the mob because they don't want them to dwell on the inequities of their lives.  Give them American football, violent movies, and mindless comedies and they shell out their hard earn money to escape from their lives.

The sad part is that it must be working because the movies make money and that is what the industry will churn out since they don't care about art or evoking emotion.  They just care about making them to make money.  That is why you have the independent films and festivals to promote the lost art of making movies that matter to some.

I tend to look outside of the US for movies that aren't mindless.  My feeling of the US movie industry is that if it takes more effort to think about the movie than raising your drink to your lips then it is not worth making.  I know that is an over exaggeration or gross generality to use the pedantic term but I rather see 'I am David' or 'Close to Leo' than what I've seen released by Hollywood recently.

Stubborn Mule

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #21 - 23. Apr 2010 at 20:27
Print Post  
Well, I'm still able to log in and post here, so for what it's worth, Quantum didn't ban me.

I'm gonna keep lurking for now. See how long I can keep it up before falling back into familiar patterns.

Undecided

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #22 - 24. Apr 2010 at 01:46
Print Post  
To answer the question posted by gee, I would have been very happy to see a boy playing the role. I also think that Nathan Gamble and Jimmy Bennett would be good choices. But here's the thing. I would pick Nathan Gamble on looks only. No offense to Jimmy or Nathan, but I really can't see Nathan playing a violent kid with a foul mouth. Jimmy would fit the role perfectly. Like I said, no offense intended but I could picture Jimmy in that role better than I could picture Nathan in it.   Smiley 

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #23 - 24. Apr 2010 at 03:14
Print Post  
I wasn't going to reply but what the heck.
I don't want to know anything about a movie titled "Kick Ass." For me it is purely a matter of personal taste and about that there can be no argument.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #24 - 25. Apr 2010 at 17:09
Print Post  
Methinks it would be nice if people stayed rather than left.

St Mule it would surely be nice to have you post a bit more regularly. There aren't many left that go back as far as you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print