Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic small request re: gallery browsing (Read 4,212 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

small request re: gallery browsing
12. Jun 2011 at 01:10
Print Post  
I love the new gallery display feature thingy. I don't know how new it is, but it looks snazzy. But I have a small request that could make it even better.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome, so whenever I can get away with using keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse, I do. (I seem to be doing further damage to my wrist every time I place my hand on the mouse.)

Would it be possible to add a keyboard shortcut so that we can go through gallery images by pressing the left and right arrow keys, instead of having to use the mouse to click on the arrow buttons? That would be great. Thanks.

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Re: small request gallery browsing
Reply #1 - 12. Jun 2011 at 03:33
Print Post  
Carpal tunnel syndrome is closely related to RSI. I have suffered from that condition for a couple of years but I have almost completely recovered from it by wearing a brace, just below the elbow. I hope this information is of any use to you.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #2 - 12. Jun 2011 at 11:34
Print Post  
Unfortunately the gallery thing is an off the shelf package, and it doesn't appear to support keyboard shortcuts (although this is a request that has been made to the author before...)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 12. Jun 2011 at 18:34
Print Post  
Ah, too bad. More and more websites now offer that functionality (including things like Facebook, Flickr etc.) so hopefully they'll update the code.

Thanks anyway.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #4 - 14. Jun 2011 at 19:32
Print Post  
Some good news. I've changed the package used to display the gallery to a new one which does support keyboard shortcuts. You can use either the left and right arrows keys or "n" and "p" (for next and previous) to navigate. The escape key, "x" and "c" will close the display.

Let me know how you get on with it...

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 16. Jun 2011 at 16:38
Print Post  
That works like a charm. Thanks.

One possible drawback is that if people want to save the images to their hard drive, they may not know how to do so. I figured it out, but not everyone is as savvy as I am. Smiley

From the gallery index, instead of just clicking on a thumbnail, right-click and select "Open in a new tab." Then you can view the gallery using the old view, which is plain HTML and lets you right-click on the images, or drag and drop them to a folder.

I'm perfectly happy with this system.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print