Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Peppermint (Read 4,196 times)
cal
Ex Member

Admin

Peppermint
19. Jun 2001 at 10:37
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The first two thirds of this film features the charming Giorgos Gerontidakis-Sempetadelis in the role of Stefanos at 11 years of age.  The film is a montage of scenes, both significant and insignificant in a man's life. Giorgos is excellent as the handsome and mischevious youngster, and the movie up until the time when he grows up is more than pleasant viewing... not a great deal of voyuristic value, however, there is a scene at a beach, and a few other minor visual bonuses throughout the movie.

My RATING: 8/10

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here's a review I nicked from somewhere:

"Stephanos was an intellectual delinquent: brainy enough to construct his own model airplanes and reckless enough to cut up his father's underwear for the elastic to power the toy vehicle in a flight directly into his unsuspecting dad's head. Sharing much of Stephanos' childhood was his first cousin Marina, who frequently served as a happy conspirator in activities ranging from sneaking about their sleeping aunt's bedroom to sampling the delights of the family liquor cabinet.

"Stephanos has a talent for bringing out the edgy side in his childhood peers. He encourages trading of holy picture cards of the saints on the steps of a church, creates a ruckus when asked to perform an algebra equation in a class, and liberates a bookwormish fat boy from his studies by encouraging him to toss his hefty textbooks from a train. Yet despite his naughty behavior, Stephanos never veers into criminal or malicious situations, and his family (despite his father's impotent threats of an exile in "a strict boarding school") tolerates his behavior with patience and a warm slice of love. A true gem of a scene comes when his mother discovers Stephanos hiding a girlie magazine. She berates Stephanos with the promise to show the magazine to his father, but withdraws her fury when Stephanos explains he stole the magazine from his father. She then resolves to destroy it in the wood-burning stove, but before incinerating it she pauses over a picture or two and ruefully wonders aloud over the sexpot photographs: "What's the big deal?"

"Peppermint" is rich with small sparkles of true life, ranging from the mildly absurd (an aunt who is obsessed with gossip on the Greek royal family, a lamentable hotel lounge band in ill-fitting suits and indifferent expressions) to the heartbreaking (a late call to Stephanos from Marina who, after years of estrangement, needs to identify herself as "Your cousin Marina"). In a quietly jolting sequence, the teenage Stephanos and his peers are happily dancing the night away at a party. It is the mid-1960s and the partygoers are swinging to Tommy James' records in an apartment which is decorated in typical '60s kitsch. The boys and girls are young, slender, very attractive and gyrating in carefree abandon. Suddenly, the adult Stephanos comes through the door. The slender, insouciant young Stephanos is instantly older and bulkier, perhaps a little bitter around the edges. The decor is dullish conservative and contemporary, the partygoers are suddenly older and none seem to have aged very well. And although Tommy James' music is still playing, the dancing is slower, more careful, more awkward. In this brief switch of eras, director Costas Kapakas offers a remarkable view of time and how people deal with it.
« Last Edit: 31. Jul 2003 at 10:40 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Peppermint
Reply #1 - 20. Sep 2002 at 13:20
Print Post  
This is a great film! The opportunity to watch Giorgos Gerontidakis-Sempetadelis alone would make it so, but the story isn't bad either. My movie rating is 8/10, Giorgos' rating is 10/10, as a boy movie 8/10.

The trailer is available for download at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A region free DVD for this film is being sold at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
The price is exceedingly cheap (even if you factor in shipping). Does anyone here have any experience with this company???

IP Logged

socksoles
Silver Member

Peppermint
Reply #2 - 21. Sep 2002 at 10:22
Print Post  
I have no experience with dddhouse. However, on my quest to look for the other Greek movies (I now seriously doubt if they have indeed been released yet on Video or DVD) I found (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Their website looks very profesional, is very easy to use and has low prices as well. Peppermint is for sale here too.....

'soles'

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Peppermint
Reply #3 - 06. Aug 2003 at 17:53
Print Post  
I was reminded of this movie today when I was looking back over MikeZ's updates from the past few days that I might have missed. I really do want to see this one, but was unable to order from either of the sites that Zab or 'soles mentioned to us at the time (I think because they weren't shipping to my region of the world).

Was anyone ever able to get this dvd from either these or some other online source? If so, please let me know, and I'll name my next possum after you!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 08. Aug 2003 at 10:36
Print Post  
Sir J,

It's been on World Movies here several times...

so if you can't get a copy, let me know and I'll tape it for you next time it is broadcast.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #5 - 08. Aug 2003 at 16:15
Print Post  
Woohoo!   Grin

The next possum baby will be Little Calvin!   Cheesy

Love,
Sir J