Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Nature of Nicholas, The (2002) (Read 5,454 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Nature of Nicholas, The (2002)
08. Aug 2002 at 20:08
Print Post  

In a few weeks the fall film festival season for North America will begin in Montreal. Film festivals are special, particularly to those of us in North America because they offer an opportunity to see edgy (read that predominantly non-American) films that the average person isn't exposed to. While putting together my "wish list" of films which will be screening in Montreal, I came across several that should be of interest to us. The Nature of Nicholas is the first of these. The following synopsis is lifted from the film's official website at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

THE NATURE OF NICHOLAS is a surreal fable that follows twelve-year-old Nicholas as he struggles with an intense attraction to his best friend, Bobby.
Nicholas is obsessed with his friend Bobby. Bobby’s feelings are less clear. At times he seems to share Nicholas’s fascination, but then appears more interested in making inroads with the girls at school. All this leaves young Nicholas very confused.  

When images of Nicholas’s absent father start to appear to him, the boy is understandably frightened. This curious figure gives Nicholas the impression he is pressing his young son closer to the girls in his life and away from Bobby. This only leads to increased anxiety and fear in Nicholas.

Fearing that Bobby is drifting away from him, Nicholas takes a chance and kisses him. Bobby is taken aback and storms out.

Because of his shame, Bobby undergoes a type of “splitting” where a decrepit, ghoulish version of him is separated from his healthy self.  Nicholas is immediately drawn to this gruesome Bobby, and begins to secretly take care of the creature. However, Nicholas cannot keep the creature hidden forever and must eventually face his own feelings.

THE NATURE OF NICHOLAS is an evocative film of depth and complexity.  Using the physical metaphor of decay for intense feelings of shame, it is about the purification of the individual, the self-consciousness of childhood sexuality as dictated by adults, and the dignity of any sexual orientation.

If I can find information on some of the other interesting titles screening in Montreal, I'll post them later.

(Edited by Zabladowski at 5:45 pm on May 11, 2003)
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:21 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

The Nature of Nicholas (2002)
Reply #1 - 08. Aug 2002 at 21:55
Print Post  
God! I want to see this!

Zabladowski, is this playing at the FFM? I thought the list of films playing there would only be available this weekend.

If I can come up with the necessary funds, I will try to spend a few days in Montreal around that time and catch a few films. I would definitely like to see this one.

Thanks for mentioning it. And thanks for those great photos, Sir Jacob.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 08. Aug 2002 at 22:30
Print Post  
Joseph,

I was hoping you'd see this notice.

Yes, the film is screening in the Panorama Canada section of the FFM. All of the films that were accepted for presentation are listed on their website now, but the schedule of when each film plays won't be released until August 17th.

Sir Jacob,

Thanks for bring some of the pictures over from the site.

(Edited by Zabladowski at 11:34 pm on Aug. 8, 2002)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 11. Aug 2002 at 08:34
Print Post  
Sound very interesting indeed.  I'll keep an eye out for it . I hope you get to see this movie Zabladowski, I'm keen to read what you have to say about it.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 27. Aug 2002 at 01:52
Print Post  
I saw the world premiere of this movie on Saturday in Montreal. My feeling is that it is well worth your time, particularly because of the excellent performance of Jeff Sutton. The film itself is more than a little bizarre in its presentation of the material and from my point of view could have been more successful with a little less gore. It was produced with the assistance of the Movie Network, a Canadian cable company, so it's guaranteed viewing on that network someday.

This film is a perfect example of my opening statement about the types of films that are available at film festivals. Fortunately its production funding should guarantee more widespread exposure eventually.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 27. Aug 2002 at 08:01
Print Post  
Zabladowski, I was also at the world premiere of this one. It looks like we sat through several screenings together at the festival without knowing it. Had we planned things a little better, we might have been able to get together and discuss the films a little. Maybe next year. Smiley

This film was one of the highlights of the festival for me. There are a lot of awkward elements to it and the weirdness of it might be a big turn off for some people. But in spite of all this, it still worked for me, mostly because of the young actors, who were very pleasant to look at.

Oh, and for all the pervs who are into this type of stuff, the protagonist has several shirtless scenes. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print