Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Liam (2000) (Read 3,189 times)
Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Liam (2000)
28. Sep 2002 at 12:42
Print Post  

Anthony Borrows is a cute little boy, and if he doesn't stutter in real life, then he's an excellent actor, too!

Well, even if he does stutter in real life, he's an excellent actor. But, I thought he did a marvelous job with the speech impediment aspect of the movie. Gosh, I hope it was acting.

Love,
Sir Jacob
« Last Edit: 01. Jul 2008 at 04:22 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Liam (2000)
Reply #1 - 31. Oct 2002 at 22:56
Print Post  
I have seen this movie and while it was not one of my favorites (6/10 movie rating - 7/10 boy movie rating) your comments made me question whether Anthony's stutter was real. An online interview with Stephen Frears, the director settled the question.

Q: Does directing a child that small present any particular challenge?

SF: Not if they've got good concentration, which he had. You were only asking him to deal with feelings that he knew. There weren't things … he knew what unhappiness was or what happiness was or whatever. So you were always dealing with experiences that, in one form or another, that a child would have been through.

Q: It was painful watching him in scenes in which he would stutter.

SF: Yes, terrible. The writer [Jimmy McGovern], who has a stutter, would just shout at him and make him stutter. He had to act. He didn't have a stutter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print