Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Stolen Summer (2002) (Read 4,403 times)
wwaabbiitt
Silver Member

Stolen Summer (2002)
06. Nov 2002 at 21:06
Print Post  

This is a delightful film, set in Chicago in the mid-'70s, about a 9-year-old Irish Catholic boy, Pete (played by Adi Stein), who takes it upon himself one Summer to "convert" a Jewish person.  In the process he meets the bemused local Rabbi, setting up a lemonade stand in front of the Synagogue, and, through a series of coincidences meets and targets the Rabbi's 8-year-old son Danny (Mike Weinberg, who played Kevin in the recent Home Alone 4), who has some form of cancer.  They become friends and Pete sets up a series of arbitrary tests for Danny to achieve "conversion," with varied reactions from both families, the Priest, and others.  There are a few subplots involving family dynamics, the most important being Pete's older brother's desire to go to college against their dad's adamant opposition; these all get weaved together within the main story in ways that I found totally credible (coincidences DO happen!)

Those who didn't like this film perhaps missed the through-a-child's-eye perspective on issues such as religious division; that in the greater scheme of things relationships, not dogma, are what need to be worshipped -- anything else is perhaps the REAL "child's play/boys and their toys."

Adi Stein and Mike Weinberg were first-rate (I congratulate the casting director on "the boy next door" choices); it was at times apparent they were being directed, but one often got the feeling of "being there/observing actual events" in the interactions between the two boys.  Same -- even more so -- with the interactions within Pete's family -- VERY REAL.

Ryan Kelley(I), I believe, who has a re-occuring role in t.v.'s Smallville, played Pete's slightly older brother (11 or 12?), Seamus.

Stolen Summer was the result of Project Greenlight -- a national script-writing contest to discover new writing/directing talent.

********1/2 for the boys
*******1/2 for the movie

-----------------------------
images expired

« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 05:27 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Stolen Summer
Reply #1 - 06. Nov 2002 at 22:37
Print Post  
Thanks wwaabbiitt. Excellent caps and a very good review too.

I've been spending an aweful lot of money lately, so I don't know when my next order of DVDs will be - but this one will definitely be on my list. Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Stolen Summer
Reply #2 - 07. Nov 2002 at 22:31
Print Post  
Really good review wwaabbiitt. I'm looking forward to seeing this one...  there's something about little Jewish boys that I find very appealing, and the story sounds pretty interesting too. Thank goodness for independent films, they fill the void that big budget, Hollywood often tends to neglect.

I'll get all these great caps loaded into a galley in the next few days.

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

Stolen Summer
Reply #3 - 08. Nov 2002 at 13:50
Print Post  
These are truly fantastic boys . I have my eye on the complete box with all the extra material.... Thanks for the great caps...

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Stolen Summer
Reply #4 - 08. Nov 2002 at 22:02
Print Post  
I was one of the lucky few to get to see this in a theatre (I believe it was only released in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York). I thought it was sentimental, cute, and a reasonable attempt to recreate the mid-1970's in Chicago. Adi Stein was particularly good. While it won't make my top 10 list for the year, anyone interested enough to read this forum, should watch this film.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print