Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic that's genius (Read 1,647 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

that's genius
11. Dec 2003 at 07:12
Print Post  
kid inventors.

such as charlie :

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Young inventor's road safety solution

CELIA WIGG, CAT BARTMAN

December 4, 2003 07:00

Most 10-year-old boys would, alas, be focused on football or glued to their game consoles.

But, despite being several years away from driving, Charlie Watts has come up with something to improve road safety.

Next Wednesday, the schoolboy will appear on national TV to unveil an anti-speeding device that could put him on the road to being voted Britain's top young inventor.

Charlie, a pupil of Carleton Rode Primary School, near Attleborough, came up with the idea for Laser Speed – a system that uses satellite technology to slow down cars entering speed limit zones – after his dad Neil got a speeding ticket.

He submitted the idea after hearing about a new Children's BBC series called That's Genius! and has now been chosen as one of five finalists from more than 3000 entrants.

Each of the five inventions is being featured in a series of weekly programmes and viewers' votes will decide a winner, with a trip to the House of Inventions, in Florida, as the prize.

Laser Speed is being developed by MG Rover, which is excited by its potential. The device has already achieved an 80pc success rate in trials at the company's Bedfordshire test centre.

"It slows a vehicle down via satellite," explained Charlie. "A voice speaks to you in the car telling you to slow down and, if you still go too fast, it cuts off the accelerator.

"My mum and dad always find it annoying that so many people disregard the speed limits. Then my dad got a speeding ticket and that spurred me on. The people on That's Genius! thought it was a good idea because it could save lives. But I never thought it would get this far."

Charlie has been filmed go-karting at Swaffham and visiting MG Rover headquarters for the programme.

His mother, Alison, said that just to get to the finals was an amazing achievement, especially as it was his first proper invention.

"I call him the little professor. He's just got such a good imagination. He's always thinking of things. He did it and didn't give it another thought. He's quite a cool character and not big-headed at all, but he's getting excited."

To mark Charlie's TV debut, a party is being held at school with teachers and pupils joining him to watch the broadcast at 4.35pm.

Proud headteacher David Street said: "It is quite special. It's fantastic and Charlie is over the moon."

On December 17, the youngster will appear with the other four finalists on a live edition of That's Genius! at BBC Television Centre, when the winner will be announced.

The other inventions are a power lilo – the ultimate beach accessory with a solar-powered propeller – a hologram radio, a remote-controlled spy bird capable of taking stills and film, and a Choc Attack Cubicle, described as a virtual way to keep fit.

He will also be featured on the adult inventors' programme Innovation Nation.

Despite his high-flying start, Charlie is not planning a career as an inventor. In fact, he is looking to the past for his choice of profession.

"I want to be a palaeontologist," he revealed. "I'm fascinated by fossils and dinosaurs."

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Re: that's genius
Reply #1 - 11. Dec 2003 at 14:45
Print Post  
I want to be a palaeontologist," he revealed. "I'm fascinated by fossils and dinosaurs."

Oh, my Gosh!  He has turned into Ross!!!   Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print