Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Whole New Thing (2005) (Read 11,065 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Whole New Thing (2005)
Reply #15 - 09. Mar 2009 at 17:44
Print Post  
I guess I never posted in this thread after seeing the movie. My initial comment (Canadian movie, probably going to suck) was a joke. As evidenced by my rating on the database, I also found this movie to be quite good.

On a side note (and I should probably repost this in the development forum) - Quantum, I would suggest removing the "weighted rating" function on the database.

I was the one who initially suggested this feature and the formula that's used to calculate the ratings is based on the formula that IMDb uses. The reasoning behind it was that the top list should reflect popularity as well as ratings. What I thought it would achieve was that if two movies had an equal score (say 8.5), the one with 15 votes would appear first on the list, and the one with only 5 votes would appear second. I thought it would adjust the ratings only slightly. Like, the one with 15 votes would get a "weighted rating" of 8.51 and the one with only 5 votes would get a "weighted rating" of 8.49, or whatever.

The way it actually works is bizarre and incredibly annoying. This movie has 5 identical votes of 9 out of 10. And yet the "weighted rating" is 8.05. That makes absolutely no sense.

All the weighted ratings seem to do is consistently lower the ratings of well-liked movies. Maybe it only makes sense in a context where films get hundreds or thousands of votes like on IMDb.

It was an experiment, and I think it failed. So I would suggest removing it, if it's not too complicated.

IP Logged

Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Re: Whole New Thing (2005)
Reply #16 - 09. Mar 2009 at 18:23
Print Post  
I second that.

The average rating list is sufficient and a better indicator whether a movie is liked or disliked, imo. I hardly ever peek at the weighted ratings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print