Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2008 AFTI Media Boy Poll (Read 14,117 times)
Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

2008 AFTI Media Boy Poll
02. Jan 2009 at 14:28
Print Post  
It's that time of the year again for the AFTI Media Boy Poll. The current nominees are listed at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and voting starts on Tuesday 13 January...

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: 2008 AFTI Media Boy Poll
Reply #1 - 02. Jan 2009 at 18:04
Print Post  
There are so many names on the list.

I wonder if such a huge list is too daunting a task for many potential voters. Has the AFTI committee considered haveing a second ballot.

I think it would be interesting to see what result is achieved if just the ten highest vote getters are then placed into a second ballot.

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 02. Jan 2009 at 19:47
Print Post  
That top 10 thing on a second ballot is an interesting idea. I would be very disappointed if my choices didn't make it though. In the first vote I would pick my choices and if at least some of them didn't make it to the next ballot I'm not sure if I would vote for anyone on the second one. It depends on who makes it. I'm just wondering how many others would feel the same way. It's a good idea but I just had to bring this point up to see if anyone else might be thinking about this. Like I said, for me it would depend on who makes the second ballot and if I actually like the choices.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 02. Jan 2009 at 21:22
Print Post  
I've never voted, precisely because I find the list of performers overwhelming. Also, I don't really see that many new movies featuring boys. And a lot of the ones I see are more or less obscure festival entries that have no chance of winning anyway.

But I do enjoy looking over the results once they come in.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 03. Jan 2009 at 16:29
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 02. Jan 2009 at 18:04:

I wonder if such a huge list is too daunting a task for many potential voters. Has the AFTI committee considered having a second ballot.

Part of the reason for the sizable list is that your vote must come from the list of eligible performances. I was historically having to lobby to have my potential picks added. If we tried to trim the picks in advance to only the most relevant, I'm not so sure someone like Alessandro Morace or Nash Aguas (both of whom did pretty well in the voting) would have made the cut. Indeed, the success of Jules Sitruk was a surprise to the AFTI faithful a few years back.

I think it would be interesting to see what result is achieved if just the ten highest vote getters are then placed into a second ballot.

A runoff election does sound interesting. Personally it would likely mean I'd have to look for new candidates in the second ballot!   Grin

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 03. Jan 2009 at 16:33
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 02. Jan 2009 at 21:22:
I've never voted, precisely because I find the list of performers overwhelming. Also, I don't really see that many new movies featuring boys. And a lot of the ones I see are more or less obscure festival entries that have no chance of winning anyway.

But I do enjoy looking over the results once they come in.

You can vote for less than 5 performers joseph. Antoine L'Écuyer will probably need all the help he can get. It is impossible to see every performance so you just have to pick your 5 favorites/best (I'm not going into the semantics of that again  Tongue ) or less than that if your viewing habits don't generate 5 performances or performers worth honoring.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 03. Jan 2009 at 16:44
Print Post  
Why I think a second ballot would be a good idea is to allow people to vote for their obscure favourites the first time round. A second ballot held a month or so later would allow the top ten to rated by everybody...  hence a more valid result (IMO). Much like the oscars.

Perhaps even leave the second ballot voting open until Oscar night.

It would also give people a chance to check out some of the top ten's performances to make an informed choice.

Anyway, was just an idea.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 03. Jan 2009 at 17:22
Print Post  
i found the ballot and the way you vote time conusming and confuising. i not quite sure how to vote the should make the ballots clickable some how.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #8 - 03. Jan 2009 at 18:10
Print Post  
gee wrote on 03. Jan 2009 at 17:22:
make the ballots clickable some how.

I agree, a clickable ballot would ensure 2 things: 1) every actor is a valid actor, and 2) there are no ambiguous rankings.  All they would have to do is make a pull-down menu next to each actors name with rankings from 1 to 5,  and then ask for your email address when you "submit" your selections.

I wonder if such a huge list is too daunting a task for many potential voters. Has the AFTI committee considered haveing a second ballot.

Me too.  I think a runoff election would be great!  As you said in a later comment, the first round would allow everyone to vote for their "real" (possibly obscure) preferences, and the second round would give everyone a chance to research those finalists more thoroughly and make an educated choice.... it's way too easy, with a list so large, NOT to know everyone, even if they were very excellent actors!

IP Logged

starchild
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 04. Jan 2009 at 02:58
Print Post  
Yeah, it's true that a second vote with the top 10 would give people a chance to get to know actors that they never knew before. I said that I might not vote if none of my favorites made it to the second vote but actually it would be a good chance to get to know other great actors and maybe even find some new favorites. So really that second vote with the top 10 would be interesting for all. I also like the clickable vote idea.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #10 - 05. Jan 2009 at 07:33
Print Post  
How the heck does one go about voting for boy actors in the AFTI Media Boy Poll???

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #11 - 05. Jan 2009 at 11:02
Print Post  
Phenom wrote on 05. Jan 2009 at 07:33:
How the heck does one go about voting for boy actors in the AFTI Media Boy Poll???

On January 13 (or after), go to the web site named in the first message, and you will see an email address to use for that.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #12 - 27. Jan 2009 at 21:11
Print Post  
Results are now up Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #13 - 27. Jan 2009 at 21:41
Print Post  
Wow. I can't believe how out of touch I am. I've never even heard of #1.

Glad to see Nathan Gamble and (surprisingly!) Kåre Hedebrant on the list.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #14 - 27. Jan 2009 at 22:30
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 27. Jan 2009 at 21:41:
Wow. I can't believe how out of touch I am. I've never even heard of #1.

You weren't the only one...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print