Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Most beautiful boy at the age of 11/12? (Read 23,738 times)
Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Re: Most beautiful boy at the age of 11/12?
Reply #45 - 09. Mar 2007 at 20:09
Print Post  
Quote:
I never used the word "destructive." Here I agreed with a negative comment (and expanded on it) in a stupid attempt to be conciliatory. I expressed my true, subjective negative opinion about the beauty of three boys. So I got the response I deserved since I violated my own standard. And I misjudged the level of bitterness, if not contempt, Joseph feels toward me. I'm sorry about that.

I never 'insulted' David Gallegher! I should have added that I think he was an attractive kid but that in my lonely opinion he doesn't register high on my subjective 'beauty meter.' I think David can live a long and happy life despite my opinion of his looks.

You are so elaborate in the expressing Arthur!

Dave is nice kid but I love another kid who has said words:
Thanks Adolf (Hitler) that you have destroyed our school!

Anyway so to us have translated his words to the Hungarian language.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #46 - 09. Mar 2007 at 20:22
Print Post  
Quote:
I never used the word "destructive."

No, but Cal did. And it was the shared sentiment expressed by the two of you together that upset me. It really makes no difference what specific words either of you said.

Quote:
And I misjudged the level of bitterness, if not contempt, Joseph feels toward me.

Yes, you did. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it contempt.

Quote:
I never 'insulted' David Gallegher!

I think everyone knows that. I'm pretty sure Nicolas's comment was a joke. I very much doubt that anybody here was truly offended by what you said about him.

I'm sorry I brought this up again. I just feel like the issue was never resolved, and I'm the type of person who holds a grudge forever unless things are settled properly. You can send me a private message if you want. I promise I'll be civil. And I promise I won't bring it up on the public forum again.

IP Logged

AH382
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #47 - 09. Mar 2007 at 21:12
Print Post  
Joiseph Mazzello is my favorite, too.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10. Mar 2007 at 01:41
Print Post  
As Shakespeare so aptly put it, beauty (boy or any other variety) is a subjective thing, so I would like to submit a kid of years gone by who I have always considered beautiful, in my eyes at least.

David Henesy, co-star of 'Dark Shadows' (1966 - 1971).

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #49 - 10. Mar 2007 at 06:25
Print Post  
I think everyone knows that. I'm pretty sure Nicolas's comment was a joke. I very much doubt that anybody here was truly offended by what you said about him.

Thanks Joseph.  It is difficult to become offended over an internet board that is merely expressing opinions.  Naturally, this was a joke.  Just as 'throwing handgrenades' is.

I'm sorry I brought this up again. I just feel like the issue was never resolved, and I'm the type of person who holds a grudge forever unless things are settled properly. You can send me a private message if you want. I promise I'll be civil. And I promise I won't bring it up on the public forum again.

The amazing truth, is that regardless of differing opinions, things that are said on this forum, even those that get under one another's skin, are valued opinions.  When we find ourselves getting upset because another person has posted something that undermines our own thoughts/feelings, then this displays our true dedication toward a certain film/actor/genre, or whatever.

But the key word is:  valued.  It is very, very, very rare that a post is made in this forum that is a waste of time or space.... because if we were all the same and had the same 'favorite' actor, film, or whatever..... what would be the point of a forum?   

Okay, enough psychological babbling. 

K.... David Henessey is almost a forgotten child actor.  He was quite a busy youth, and some of his performances were exceptional.

It still amazes me that some have put Joseph Mazello at the top of a beautiful boy actor list.  Personally, if there was a top 1000 list, he wouldn't even be a candidate.  He was decent child actor in many of his films, but some were quite mundane.

Hmmmm, don't think that will be considered a 'valued' opinion by many!

Gee..... great caps ! ! !

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 10. Mar 2007 at 15:55
Print Post  
"Joseph Mazello was a decent child actor in many of his films, but some were quite mundane."

One thing I've noticed about Joseph is his ability to cry at the drop of a hat. He could cry convincingly any time he wanted to. The same was true for Henry Thomas and Bobby Edner. It was Henry's ability to cry on cue that got him the part of Eliot in E. T. Plus he's a talented actor.
Joe is a very skillful actor. He does his job. But I just haven't often been overly impressed. Have you heard about how he and Brad Renfro didn't get along while making "The Cure"? Yet you'd never know it while watching them act in that movie. They are both true professionals.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui

Reply #51 - 13. Mar 2007 at 17:41
Print Post  
Nevertheless, it is difficult to put Mazello in the same company as an incredibly gifted actor such as Henry Thomas.

Both are still in the business today as young adults, and seem to have no difficulty in finding work.  So perhaps there is a comparison on that note. 

Bearing in mind that the following paragraph is merely an opinion........ 8)......... 

If you look at the roles of Joseph Mazello, particularily "Star Kid", "Shadowlands", "A Father For Charlie", "The River Wild", and his "Jurassic Park" scenes..... none of these required much of an effort. One of Mazello's earlier efforts, in "Radio Flyer", he showed signs of being better than the everyday-kid-actor..... but little after that could really shine forth.

Perhaps there are more personal issues at heart, regarding Joseph Mazello's films and acting abilities.... but this isn't likely the forum for such.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #52 - 14. Mar 2007 at 03:52
Print Post  
I thought Joseph was excellent in "Shadowlands", easily equal to anything achieved by Henry Thomas. In fact I'm surprised he missed out on at least a Young Artist Award Nomination for that role.

He did however get nominations for Desperate Choices, Radio Flyer, The Cure and Simon Birch. He won for Jurassic Park. His Simon Birch nomination was added to by receiving a win for that role from the now defunct YoungStar Awards.

So that's 5 performances he's be acclaimed for.

Henry Thomas got a win for ET, and received two other nominations, for Raggedy Man and Cloak and Dagger.

So that's 3 performances he's been acclaimed for.

The winner is clearly Joseph Mazzello.

On a more subjective note, I think that they were of similiar ability however because Joseph was in twice as many films as Henry as a kid, I'd rate Joseph slightly ahead of Henry as a kid actor.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #53 - 14. Mar 2007 at 07:12
Print Post  
I agree. I think Joseph Mazzello was very talented and at least of the same caliber as Henry Thomas and other popular boy actors.

I'm not sure how it can be determined that most of his roles didn't require much effort.

His best performance, in my opinion, is in Simon Birch.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui

Reply #54 - 14. Mar 2007 at 15:56
Print Post  
The big difference is simply this.....

When watching E.T. we see a child in the film, and we say.... "Oh, there's Elliott".

When we watch "Simon Birch" or any of the aforementioned films, we say..... "Oh, there's Joseph Mazello".

Henry Thomas was in a horrible film, "Cloak & Dagger", and could be one of the worst children's films ever created.  Mazello was almost always cast in a very good film, (story-line and plot, etc.... we never saw Thomas in a huge epic such as Jurassic Park). 

As great as the incredibly gifted and talented actress Sissy Spacek is and always has been...... it is Henry Thomas who made "Raggedy Man" a very good film.

It is merely differing opinions here, and Mazello somehow seems to have more votes.  Perhaps, as Cal stated, he was in twice as many films while being a child actor, so the deck is stacked against Thomas in this aspect. 

Mazello, as stated previously, was quite good in "Radio Flyer"..... but then again, he was acting alongside a truly great child actor in Elijah Wood.

Wonder if Steven Spielberg credits Henry Thomas for E.T.'s success?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #55 - 14. Mar 2007 at 21:34
Print Post  
Quote:
Wonder if Steven Spielberg credits Henry Thomas for E.T.'s success?

I can't imagine why he would.

Henry Thomas was very good in ET but IMO there are plenty of other kid actors who could have done the role had they been the right age at the time. Joseph Mazzello being one of them.

Drew Barrymore actually got far more acclaim for ET than Henry Thomas and she became a star later on as an adult.

Henry Thomas despite staying in the business remains relatively unknown to the public, most people never bothered to find out his name, he was just 'that kid from ET'.

IMO the success of ET was due 99% to Speilberg.

IP Logged

Debois
Gold Member

RE Member

Reply #56 - 14. Mar 2007 at 21:36
Print Post  
<big style="font-family:Calisto; font-size:20px; color:red;">I am really like Russian boy actors!</big>

More more than others I love this boy:

this is Iegor Druzhinin from "Adventures of Petrov and Vasechkyn"

<big style="font-family:Calisto; font-size:20px; color:green;">Cute? Isn't it?</big>

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui

Reply #57 - 21. Mar 2007 at 12:57
Print Post  
Cal, you think Joseph Mazello would have fared well in the role of Elliott, were the film to have been made during the appropriate time period for him?

It amazes me how we see the acting talent of each youngster from a different perspective.

There isn't one role of Mazello's that would be difficult for nearly any child actor to have filled.  Some may argue that "The Cure" is an exception, but when a child dies in a motion picture, it nearly always evokes extra 'kudos' to the acting of such a child.  (i.e. Macauley Culkin in "My Girl").

Joseph Mazello was not a poor actor by any means, but he certainly was not a Haley Osment, Barret Oliver, or Henry Thomas either.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #58 - 21. Mar 2007 at 23:32
Print Post  
There isn't one role of Mazello's that would be difficult for nearly any child actor to have filled.

That's a ridiculous statement to make.  thought we'd done with this already. You seem to be flogging a dead horse.  It seems to me you have a problem with Joseph Mazzello for some reason. Nicolas you are not going to convince me at all. He was every bit as good as the other three actors you mentioned. You only have to look at the movies he's made and compare them.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #59 - 22. Mar 2007 at 00:11
Print Post  
I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on Joseph Mazzello. We're never going to be able to verify what E.T. would have been like with him instead of Henry Thomas, nor will we ever be able to test any of Mazzello's roles with other actors in his place. There isn't an objective talent-o-meter that we can apply to any actor.

All this is highly subjective and there's really not much point arguing over it. For what it's worth, I think a lot of generally acclaimed actors are overrated. I think Al Pacino is a horrible actor, for example.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Print