Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Speaking of Remakes.... (Read 19,281 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Speaking of Remakes....
16. Dec 2009 at 15:57
Print Post  
This article is lifted from the online Guardian
reposted here for your perusal.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

To the Great Wall of China, where the scion of one of America's foremost acting families prepares to make his leading child debut opposite an icon of the People's Republic, in a coolly anticipated reimagining of one of the most important movies of the 80s.

To wit, Will Smith's boy, Jaden, is to star opposite Jackie Chan in The Karate Kid. Or The Kung Fu Kid, as it is to be known, after Chinese financiers insisted production be shifted from Japan to China. These same constraints appear to have necessitated the rebranding of Mr Miyagi to Mr Han, who is shown in the first on-set pictures released this week looking on semi-indulgently as little Jaden high-kicks his way to centre-stage atop the Great Wall.

Does the casting of Chan presage a movie one would want to watch? Over to the original film's star Ralph Macchio, who says. "I think Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, with a good script, and all the moons in alignment? It could be another big, fat hit. The thing is whether Jackie Chan gives you Jackie Chan, or if Jackie Chan does a, you know, real stretch to the character . . ."

Say no more, Daniel-san. Say no more. We can only hope that, like a legendary footballer's shirt, the "wax on, wax off" line has been retired in honour of Pat Morita – or at the very least, that the financiers have insisted on its being altered to communicate the benefits of practising goose-stepping for youngsters keen to learn kung fu.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Re: Speaking of Remakes....
Reply #1 - 17. Dec 2009 at 04:55
Print Post  
I have a feeling that Jackie Chan has it in him to play the Mr. Miyagi character. He will have to reach deep down inside and pull out a more serious side, but I feel he can do it if he tries hard enough.

Jaden, it seems to me, was chosen mostly for name recognition and therefore, financial gain on the part of the producers. There are undoubtedly better boy actors and far better martial artists than Jaden. I suspect that this movie is only being made to make a lot of money. I'm surprised Disney isn't doing it.

I don't know much about what Jaden is like as a person but I hope he is not as full of himself as his father is. I've read that in the past he was known to be a handful on the set.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 17. Dec 2009 at 05:14
Print Post  
Will Smith is one of the producers of the film.....

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 17. Dec 2009 at 14:00
Print Post  
I like the choice, and he's young enough to do a couple of sequels well before he reaches the age that Ralph Macchio was when he did his first one. In fact Macchio was about 23 or whatever.

I liked Jaden in The Pursuit of Happyness.
« Last Edit: 18. Dec 2009 at 04:51 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 17. Dec 2009 at 18:38
Print Post  
the only thing I ever have seen jaden in was a eppy of the suite life he was okay in that he is a little cutie but in the in interviews I have seen he comes off as concited and full of himself. plus I dont think he only gets roles caues of who his dad is. gosh this post of mone sounds mean but I had to say it.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 18. Dec 2009 at 05:01
Print Post  
There is certainly a good deal of nepotism in the movie industry, but that is perfectly understandable. I think you are being way too harsh at this stage, especially if you have only seen him in one crap show.

In all fairness you probably need to a least watch him in "The Pursuit of Happyness" or at least wait until "The Karate Kid".

A lot of people seem to be anti Jaden, and most of the comments against him seem like troll trash to me.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 18. Dec 2009 at 05:05
Print Post  
yes I am going to check out the prusit of happyness when I get a chance.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 18. Dec 2009 at 06:37
Print Post  
I refused to watch The Pursuit of Happyness, because (a) I can't stand Will Smith, and (b) that kind of movie makes me vom.

But regardless of what I think of his dad, I'm sure Jaden has some acting talent. This Karate Kid remake might be worth a look.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 18. Dec 2009 at 20:39
Print Post  
I didn't think 'The Pursuit of Happyness' was a great film. Can't they get some good looking Japanese kid to do the karate kid stuff? I'm not sure a negro boy fits in with the karate image somehow. The original 'Karate Kid' with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita was a classic (worth getting the DVD for the commentaries alone) and is going to be a very hard act to follow. The nearest I've ever seen to it was good-lookin' Ted Jan Roberts in 'Magic Kid' a B movie that I doubt ever got to the cinema but is much underrated. However, I was very impressed by Jackie Chan in 'Shanghai Noon' which was a good rambling adventure film and genuinely funny with it. Jackie would be great in the Morita role BUT Jaden as a karate kid? Mmmm ... not so sure.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 18. Dec 2009 at 22:33
Print Post  
Whoa. I'm not even going to attempt to respond to that. I thought the 1950s were over.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 20. Dec 2009 at 09:59
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 18. Dec 2009 at 22:33:
Whoa. I'm not even going to attempt to respond to that. I thought the 1950s were over.

Umm, yup, silence is golden, as they say, BUT... how do we communicate without saying something?

So, if Joseph is unwilling to put his foot in it, I guess I feel compelled to comment....

Cinefan, perhaps it's just a generational thing, or something else, a senior moment, I don't know, but using the word 'nego' is kinda inappropriate these days. Preferred terms are obviouly 'African-American' or simply 'Black'. The word 'nego' has afaik been considered a tad derogatory, some may even say racist, since sometime back in the 70s.

A little bit more, ..  Ralph Macchio, IMO was about 10 years too old for the role. He was an adult playing the role of a kid, and he wasn't Asian, neither were the Three Ninja boys, so for the life of me I can't see what Jaden being black has anything whatsoever to do with him playing the role.

Maybe I read too much in your comment, so please don't take offence if I have read something in your post that was unintentional.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 20. Dec 2009 at 14:57
Print Post  
What bothered me about that comment was more than just the use of that one word. Saying that a white boy could play this part but a black boy couldn't is, well, racist.

I think the whole point of the Karate Kid is that the character is NOT supposed to be Asian. Because most martial arts come from Asian and a lot of martial arts masters are also from there, people kind of expect them to have a natural ability for it. (Whether or not that assumption is itself racist is something I'll leave aside for now.) But the character of the Karate Kid is supposed to be an unlikely candidate, who turns out to have talent. So it makes sense for him to not be Asian.

But why would it matter if he's white or black?

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #12 - 28. Dec 2009 at 06:26
Print Post  

found the trailer.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 28. Dec 2009 at 12:07
Print Post  
Thanks gee, it looks pretty good to me. It amazes me how many haters this movie has already. IMO it looks way better than the original.

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #14 - 28. Dec 2009 at 21:02
Print Post  
I think we get a bit too touchy about the words we use these days. Negro is Spanish for black so what do the Spaniards do? It's all this racist nonsense that has comedians and minstrel performers having to severely curtail their acts. Just as well the Irish don't get too upset about being the butt of a 1001 jokes!
I agree Ralph Macchio was too old at 23 for the part in 'Karate Kid' BUT he looked a teenager and that was what mattered.
Look through the Martial Arts DVDs and see how many ne - oops sorry - African-Americans you see. If I think of kick-boxers I think of Thailand. Is that incorrect? We can get ourselves tied up in knots with this PC thing which is so rampant at the moment.
Okay, so a black kid plays a karate kid. Big deal. I just thought an Asian kid would be more appropriate for the role that's all. Isn't karate a Japanese word?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print