Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Speaking of Remakes.... (Read 19,272 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Speaking of Remakes....
Reply #15 - 28. Dec 2009 at 22:58
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

just to compare I found the trailer to the origanl movie. other than the basic details of the movie they look different I might see the new one when it comes out. I should rent the origanl too I baerly remeber it.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 29. Dec 2009 at 07:56
Print Post  

Of course Ralph Macchio himself was a white Italian American, not Asian. As Josephk said, it isn't supposed to be an Asain.
Ralph was a money maker when the first one was made..now Jaden is a money maker. There you have the reason why Jaden was chosen (plus his father is the producer).  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #17 - 29. Dec 2009 at 08:21
Print Post  
Well, I really can't see how the story would work using an asian kid. AFAIR one of the central themes of the story is that the Karate Kid, is NOT asian, so using a black kid is perfect in the context of the story.

And yes we do tend to get a bit PC at times, but sometimes there is good reason for it.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #18 - 29. Dec 2009 at 13:32
Print Post  
When a word has been out of common usage for 40 years, has acquired strong negative connotations and is associated with the pre-civil rights movement era, it's no longer an issue of "political correctness". Using a term like that is just plain ignorance.

I had a lot more to say about this. In fact, I said most of them last night in a long post, which I then decided to delete. It's not worth it.

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 30. Dec 2009 at 01:10
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 29. Dec 2009 at 13:32:
When a word has been out of common usage for 40 years, has acquired strong negative connotations and is associated with the pre-civil rights movement era, it's no longer an issue of "political correctness". Using a term like that is just plain ignorance.

I had a lot more to say about this. In fact, I said most of them last night in a long post, which I then decided to delete. It's not worth it.

I can give you the exact year that the word "negro" fell into disuse and acquired a negative connotation: 1967. That was the year that the Black Panther Party was born and their term "black" quickly became the mainstream word of choice in place of "negro", which as you pointed out had by that time become associated with the pre-civil rights era. Anyone who lived in and grew up in the America of the 1950s and 1960s would know that. It was a cultural milestone. So that is why the word "negro" is still shunned by most Americans, white and black. It's a "hot button" word.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #20 - 30. Dec 2009 at 01:54
Print Post  
Quote:
Anyone who lived in and grew up in the America of the 1950s and 1960s would know that.

Or anyone who's ever read a history book. Or watched television. Or has access to Wikipedia.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #21 - 30. Dec 2009 at 16:29
Print Post  
I'm not a big fan of remakes myself, I think the black issue is irrelevant to me I just dont see the need to remake movies unnecessarily, if they called it 'The Kung Fu Kid'  I wouldn't mind so much I guess.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #22 - 30. Dec 2009 at 16:39
Print Post  
On the other hand, at least they're honest about the fact that they completely lack imagination and are too lazy to come up with an original concept. They could've just ripped off the original, give it a new title and pretend that the movie was actually something new. That's what most Hollywood movies do anyway, remake or no remake.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #23 - 30. Dec 2009 at 22:46
Print Post  
I feel sick. Once upon a time I came here for fun, or at least a pleasant experience. I have had it with these bursts of indignant liberal sermonizing. I best be moving along.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #24 - 31. Dec 2009 at 06:30
Print Post  
Goodbye.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 31. Dec 2009 at 06:54
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 30. Dec 2009 at 22:46:
I feel sick. Once upon a time I came here for fun, or at least a pleasant experience. I have had it with these bursts of indignant liberal sermonizing. I best be moving along.

That's a bit extreme, it is just one thread.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #26 - 31. Dec 2009 at 13:20
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 30. Dec 2009 at 22:46:

To say I'm disappointed YA, is an understatement. Well actually I'm rather shocked, not by what Joseph has said but by your reaction. You of all people should be an advocate of free speech and applaud a person who has the guts to stand up for what he believes.

All Joseph has done is express an opinion. Yes he's blunt and abrasive but he's not attacked Cinefan personally.

You feel sick?

Why, may I ask?

You say "I have had it with these bursts of indignant liberal sermonizing."

I'm sorry YA, but that statement by you is probably one of the worst cliches plastered all over the internet a million times over. It's totally meaningless.

You could at least explain what you mean, sheesh.

"I came here to have fun" Cool, then how about starting some fun threads and some topics that interest you and leave the more serious stuff to those who care.  Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #27 - 31. Dec 2009 at 14:47
Print Post  
EDIT: LOL. My post was censured. The (big, bad) N word was replaced by "black person".

[And that's not all that censured - you really didn't think this would be left here? I'm all for discussion, even if they're controversial and if we occasionally - or often - disagree, but when it descends to insults then that is too far. I suspect the discomfort over the use of the word "negro" is a country-specific cultural thing. Whilst I wouldn't say it was commonly used here, it certainly isn't demonised in the way it appears to be in the US - but then we don't have African-American (African-English??) here... Anyway, if we can't remain civil then this thread will get locked]

EDIT: You could have at least signed your edit, douchebag. (<--this was josephk)
« Last Edit: 31. Dec 2009 at 15:52 by josephk »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #28 - 31. Dec 2009 at 15:01
Print Post  
"Happy New Year" guys and gals. YA, I hope you are feeling better, I know it can be a tough time of the year, and we do love you even if you are a Republican, hehe.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #29 - 31. Dec 2009 at 15:22
Print Post  
Whoa!

Was it Cal who censured my post? Right after preaching about "free speech"? Or was it Quantum?

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a joke.

Now I feel sick.

This place crappity smacking blows. YA had the right idea by leaving.

Seriously, go ahead and lock this thread.

Happy new year to you too.

*VOMIT*

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Print