Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help!!! (Read 7,277 times)
reloc

"Don't ask me about my
leaves"

Help!!!
18. Dec 2012 at 22:41
Print Post  
Just watched E.T for about the 100th time and still cried at the end.   DO I NEED HELP!

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Help!!!
Reply #1 - 18. Dec 2012 at 22:52
Print Post  
Smiley Very good movie, very moving !

IP Logged

Jared
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 19. Dec 2012 at 00:36
Print Post  
you dont need some help.
you normal to feel crying

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 19. Dec 2012 at 00:41
Print Post  
If anyone doesn't cry at the end of ET, then they are either cold hearted, or didn't understand the story! Wink
i went 6 or 7 times to the theater to see it when it was first released!
« Last Edit: 19. Dec 2012 at 23:39 by »  

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #4 - 19. Dec 2012 at 01:56
Print Post  
One of the best films ever made!

Just watched it again last night.  And I cried.

I was thinking the same thing.  You've seen this movie.  You know what's going to happen.   And the tears still come.

It's a very uplifting film.  They're tears of joy.

Cheesy

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 19. Dec 2012 at 04:46
Print Post  
ET is  great. however I recently  was talking to a friend and she said she hated the movie. how can anyone hate this movie?

IP Logged

Jared
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 19. Dec 2012 at 04:57
Print Post  
Gee  you friend hate this movie may be
his or her dont like children si fay movie

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 19. Dec 2012 at 12:20
Print Post  
'watched it 100 times'

I've probably watched it half a dozen times over the years. It's a good movie, perhaps even very good, but I get the feeling that it's sooo manipulative in tugging the heartstrings that it loses a little. Drawn out emotion tends to make it more melodramatic and less credible for me.

Pay it Forward tends to suffer from the same problem but double the strength. I feel a better director would have conveyed the emotion just as effectively in a shorter and subtler manner.

IP Logged

reloc

"Don't ask me about my
leaves"

Reply #8 - 19. Dec 2012 at 12:36
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 19. Dec 2012 at 12:20:
'watched it 100 times'

I've probably watched it half a dozen times over the years. It's a good movie, perhaps even very good, but I get the feeling that it's sooo manipulative in tugging the heartstrings that it loses a little. Drawn out emotion tends to make it more melodramatic and less credible for me.

Pay it Forward tends to suffer from the same problem but double the strength. I feel a better director would have conveyed the emotion just as effectively in a shorter and subtler manner.

I saw a documentery about the making of this film. Apparantly the film was shot in real time unlike so many films, so the ending of the film was also the ending for the acting ensemble. Henry Thomas (now 41) said the emotions he portrayed in the final scene were his real emotions as he new everything would end after that, and this ensemble of children and Spielberg had become very close, especially Spielberg and Thomas.

I igree about the melodrama of the film but sometimes I think it is appropriate, sometimes not.

Pay it forward i agree, left me feeling something was missing from the film.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 19. Dec 2012 at 23:37
Print Post  
Just like the shock reaction from Elliott in the scene where ET spoke to him for the 1st time (the Aha! moment!) some things are very difficult to portray, i.e. shock reactions, and sometimes crying, I can see how Speilberg would want to use the genuine emotion from the closing of filming, in the movie, that's probably why he saved the departure scenes for last!   I have a question: Is it just my imagination, or did Henry in the scene where the dog ran up the ramp of the ship, call the dog insistantly? it looked like a flaw in the editing!...but, Speilberg is known for doing that "Hitchcock" moment in films, he said so once, because he knew you'd eventually notice it!
Just like in "Jaws" the scene of the wide angle shot of the "Orca", you see the shooting star over the boat, Speilberg put it in because he knew people would evetually notice! Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 19. Dec 2012 at 23:41
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 19. Dec 2012 at 01:56:
Just watched it again last night.  And I cried.

I was thinking the same thing.  You've seen this movie.  You know what's going to happen.   And the tears still come.

I could almost recite the script! Smiley Wink

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 19. Dec 2012 at 23:45
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 19. Dec 2012 at 12:20:

I loved "Pay It Forward"! the only part I couldn't handle was the boy dying at the end! Sad

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #12 - 20. Dec 2012 at 00:15
Print Post  
Quote:
I have a question: Is it just my imagination, or did Henry in the scene where the dog ran up the ramp of the ship, call the dog insistantly? it looked like a flaw in the editing!

Yes, Henry did call the dog back.  It wasn't a mistake.   Harvey (the dog) ran up the ramp to leave with E. T.  He didn't want Harvey to go.

Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 20. Dec 2012 at 00:30
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 20. Dec 2012 at 00:15:
Yes, Henry did call the dog back.  It wasn't a mistake.   Harvey (the dog) ran up the ramp to leave with E. T.  He didn't want Harvey to go.

good to know! thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

reloc

"Don't ask me about my
leaves"

Re: Help!!! with
Reply #14 - 20. Dec 2012 at 17:58
Print Post  
How about an alternate ending to stop us crying.

Dog runs up into spaceship, Elliott runs after him but accidently gets locked in spaceship and leaves with ET.

Lives Happily everafter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print