Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Billy Elliot Musical (Read 19,991 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Billy Elliot Musical
Reply #15 - 22. Sep 2005 at 05:11
Print Post  
i read that the producers (or was it elton john?) were so pleased with the way the show was progressing that they took all the cast and crew on a jaunt to the south of france.

the report was in the daily mail but the online version now has to be paid for!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

there was a disturbing development in the uk : the agent behind billy elliot (representing the writer?) was brutally murdered in an SM encounter.

he lived just up the road from me (but in a different socio-economic (and sexual!) sphere)

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #16 - 22. Sep 2005 at 12:13
Print Post  
OK, you can see the photos here:

I'm not sure how long I'll leave them online though.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #17 - 23. Sep 2005 at 09:16
Print Post  
Wow!

You really got up close. Leon has a great smile.
Who asked Joey to 'pucker up' toward Leon in Pic 23... very cute!

Luvly pics ..thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #18 - 23. Sep 2005 at 12:15
Print Post  
Quote:
You really got up close. Leon has a great smile.
Who asked Joey to 'pucker up' toward Leon in Pic 23... very cute!

It was Leon's idea (and he actually kissed Joey on the cheek, as he does in the play) - but as it was totally unexpected, I wasn't totally prepared for the photo - it's pure luck that I got that one as I was snapping away.

They had a family photographer there (I don't recall whether he said that his wife just worked for the dance studio that Leon attends, or whether she owns it when I spoke to him), so Leon and his family where largely posing for him - however he was extremely generous and on several occassions moved out of the way so I could get a good shot - and Leon and Joey were more than happy to pose for photographs for the rest of us who had gathered at the stage door to congratulate them on their stunning performances Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #19 - 23. Sep 2005 at 17:44
Print Post  
I wasn't too enthused about the notion of a Billy Elliot musical up till now. Thank you for those amazing pictures! I can imagine how delighted you were to get these.

Joey Phillips looks perfect for the part of Michael and I love his smile.

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #20 - 23. Sep 2005 at 18:28
Print Post  
I walk past the theatre where Billy Elliot is playing in London every morning on my way to work (my office is two/three hundred yards away).  There is almost always a crowd waiting outside even at 8.30am, queuing for returns I suppose - they always look a good-natured sort of people.  I've started wondering if I might bump into quantum...I should stick a picture of George on my bowler hat  Wink

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #21 - 27. Sep 2005 at 04:44
Print Post  
thanx for putting up the excellent photos quantum.

there's a new billy on the block

Leon Cooke joins the cast of the show at London’s Victoria Palace.

Cooke is a graduate of the Billy Elliot Academy, which was set up by the show’s producers specifically to train new child stars for the musical.

Cooke, a Newcastle resident, will be joined by a new cast of ballet girls and 13-year-old Joey Philips as the new Michael...

according to the sun's gossip column, elton john is setting up a scholarship fund so that ex-boy (and girl?) stars of the show can afford to pay for any subsequent academic or arts course on which they might want to enrol.

Last dance for a real-life Billy Elliot
(Filed: 19/09/2005)

James Lomas has just bowed out of the West End show - now he's going home to Sheffield. He talks to Tom Leonard

Outside the stage door at the Victoria Palace Theatre on Saturday night, the star of the show soaked up the adulation after his final performance.

Young girls crowded around for kisses and autographs, and even Stephen Daldry, one of the country's most successful directors, had to wait his turn for a moment with his departing leading man.

Tearful family members hovered proudly nearby, an aide gathered up armfuls of bouquets and everyone trooped off to a party opposite the Ritz.

James Lomas has played Billy Elliot, the young ballet dancer from the pit country, since the show - with music by Sir Elton John - started in the West End in March.

Now he has had to step down early from the role. At 15 he is just too big to play a 12-year-old, and, more importantly, his voice has broken.

His last performance drew two standing ovations and an on-stage tribute from Daldry. The director points out afterwards that even the ushers and bar staff crowded into the dress circle to watch Lomas's final turn.

There were a few tears on stage, but Lomas is a pro. "I'm a bit upset but I'll be all right," he says. "It's been fantastic."

All stars have to cope with that moment when the lights go down and the applause dies out, but for Lomas, a refreshingly unaffected lad (for now, at least), that final curtain comes down with particularly dramatic effect.

Unlike the usual child star, who heads back to stage school in north London and ambitious "in the business" parents, from today Lomas will be just another pupil at Ecclesfield Comprehensive School in Sheffield, knuckling down to his GCSEs and living with mum and dad, a hairdresser and a steelworker.

In many ways, Lomas's story is Billy Elliot's story. Billy is a miner's son from County Durham who manages to win a place at the Royal Ballet School.

Daldry, who also directed the film version, eventually decided that the boy who played Billy should be a Northerner who had not gone to stage school.

Two years ago, Lomas was plucked - along with George Maguire and Liam Mower, with whom he shared the role - from 3,000 hopefuls, his potential shining through despite having done virtually no ballet or tap dancing. Lomas and his mother, Catherine, travelled to London for the auditions - the first time he had visited the capital.

Not for Lomas the studied coolness of some junior celebrities. "It's been fantastic, the best thing I've ever done," he says.

"Just being on the stage, in front of an audience, it's been, 'Wow!' Getting the audition, coming to London, stopping in amazing hotels, the whole process."

Productions such as Oliver! and Annie rely on equally young leads, but neither entails so much physical and mental pressure.

Billy is rarely off stage and has to act, sing, and do ballet, "street" and tap dancing. "The emotional and physical rollercoaster going on is a new beast," said Daldry.

"The show's very, very hard," says Lomas. "The lights make it very hot and you're sweating so much."

His body has inevitably changed. "You look in the mirror and you suddenly have bulging muscles." On top of performances two nights a week and daily training, he also has to do three hours of school work every morning.

The three Billys and six other children in the cast live in a house in Ealing, west London. Lomas says the trio - who were not encouraged to watch each other perform - have got on well, though there were "ups and downs… arguing and things, but that's normal, isn't it".

Having met Sir Elton, Lulu, Sharon Osbourne and "them two out of Little Britain", he says he is no longer fazed by famous people. Some whisper that Sir Elton can be a little temperamental. Not Lomas.

"He's proper down-to-earth - he's like someone you meet every day, except he looks really posh."

Lomas will also have to learn how to cope with how others take his own celebrity. Some at home are jealous, he says. "They take the mick, with Elton John and things like that."

He is aware that child stars can have difficulty coping later on and has discussed survival techniques with Jamie Bell, who played Billy in the film. "He got bullied a lot afterwards. He's really nice and he's been telling me what to do."

And his advice? "Ignore them. Or just agree with them. That's what gets on their nerves most." What if his fellow pupils ask him to do some ballet? "I shan't. They should have come to the show."

Bell is now carving out a film career and Lomas wants to get into musicals or films. His parents will be behind him.

"We used to think nobody wants you if you come from Sheffield," says Catherine Lomas. "Frankly, I'd like James to be a joiner and live round the corner, but this is his dream."

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #22 - 11. Oct 2005 at 05:44
Print Post  
michael enjoyed the show while in london.

video at link.

Monday, 10 October 2005, 08:30 GMT 09:30 UK 

Jackson mobbed in Tussauds visit 

Jackson's publicist has confirmed that the visit is his first public outing

Singer Michael Jackson was mobbed by fans at London waxworks museum Madame Tussauds during a stay in the capital.

Jackson, who is believed to be recording a single for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, had his children with him during the visit on Sunday.

He had previously attended West End musical Billy Elliot and been besieged by fans at a recording studio.

Jackson's visit to London is his first public appearance since being cleared of child abuse charges.

On arrival Jackson, 47, walked through a crowd of fans, shielding his eyes from camera flashes, and into the building.

The star's children - Prince Michael Jr, Prince Michael II and Paris-Michael - all had their faces covered in their usual fashion.

Large numbers of Madame Tussauds staff were waiting inside the attraction to greet the singer.

On Saturday, the singer arrived in a people carrier with his children 15 minutes late for the matinee performance of musical Billy Elliot.

Throughout the show, hundreds of his admirers waited outside brandishing posters of support and chanting his name.

On Friday Jackson signed autographs after being pursued by fans through an underground car park near a recording studio.

The star has also been spotted in the Dorchester Hotel, London, meeting fans and posing for photographs.

Jackson is believed to have arrived in the UK on Thursday to record Hurricane Katrina charity song From The Bottom Of My Heart.

The singer has been in Dubai since his trial in California.

It is not clear which recording studio is being used by the star or how fans knew where the singer would be appearing.

Footage of fans surrounding Jackson at the car park of the studio was released by 2 Seas Records, a joint venture between Bahrain's Southern Governor Shaikh Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa and Jackson's brother Jermaine.

Jackson climbed onto a car roof in the car park to greet his fans, who took photos on cameras and mobile phones.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #23 - 12. Oct 2005 at 22:30
Print Post  
I wonder if he got free tickets?

I wish he'd stop covering his kid's faces up... of all the weird things he does, that's what disturbs me the most...

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #24 - 17. Oct 2005 at 06:26
Print Post  
michael is not as cunning as he thinks he is.

i can clearly discern paris's features - during jacko's visit to harrods!

from the london evening standard +  interpolations from the daily express and softpedia com.

photo from hello magazine.

Fans go wacko for Jacko
By Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard
13 October 2005

Barely four months ago he faced virtual ruin - his career seemingly in tatters.

The astonishing furore that surrounds Jackson, 47, proves his fans are as devoted as ever. Crowds surge outside the Dorchester hotel, where he is staying in a £2,500-a-night suite.

Chanting his name and waving banners, the crowd - mostly in their twenties and thirties plus some children - hoped for a glimpse of Jackson. They were finally rewarded when he appeared at his suite window and waved. Minutes later, a bulk delivery of pizzas arrived outside, ordered by the singer for his fans.

Jackson, who is accompanied by his children Prince Michael Jr, eight, Prince Michael II, four, and Paris, seven, has enjoyed a tour of tourist attractions.

He sparked pandemonium at Madame Tussaud's. Minders carried the children from a people carrier with blacked-out windows, their faces masked by blankets.

Jackson, wearing a black suit, matching shirt and dark glasses, then walked through the crowds.

"They stayed for about an hour and had a whirlwind tour of all the waxworks," said an insider.

The fuss was repeated at a matinée of West End musical Billy Elliot at the Victoria Palace theatre and he was knocked to the ground by crowds eager to touch their idol.

the jackson entourage were joined by former child star mark lester.

jackson and lester have been friends for more than 20 years and are godfather to each othere's children.

There were chaotic scenes inside and outside Harrods last night when Jackson and his three children-arrived (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

He was mobbed by fans in the DVD department where he bought dozens of documentaries including the BBC's award-winning series Walking With Dinosaurs - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

He met Harrods owner, Mohamed Fayed - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - and shopped in private for two hours. Sources said he was particularly interested in the plasma screen televisions.

Jackson, 47, who is making his first public appearances since the child molestation trial in June, has received, as a gift, a laminated scrapbook of baby photos from Mohamed Fayed.

The superstar spent more than $150,000 in a 30-minute shopping spree.

Michael, accompanied by his two boys, who had their faced hidden with head scarves, bought two watches worth $145,000 and then visited the toy department, where the kids chose life size teddy bears.

A source revealed: "He was only in the store for about 30 minutes. His kids had a fantastic time. They fell in love with this gigantic toy Hummer. After Jackson spent thousands of pounds of gifts for them he then signed autographs for fans.”

Jackson was also besieged by fans at a studio in Chiswick where he is said to have begun work on the charity song From The Bottom Of My Heart. It is being made by 2SeasRecords, a label co-owned by his brother Jermaine and Bahrain's Prince Abdullah bin Hamad Al Khalifa.

Jackson has said: "It pains me to watch the suffering taking place in the Gulf region."

He had been in hiding in Dubai since his California court case ended. He is expected to return to Bahrain to record this week.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 25. Oct 2005 at 06:52
Print Post  
The Times October 24, 2005

Broken voice sends Billy Elliot actor back to school for exams

A year of fame and fortune has come to an end for the all-singing, all-dancing son of a Sheffield foundry worker.

James Lomas, 15, who won rave reviews playing the title role in the West End musical Billy Elliot, was rehearsing for a different kind of challenge this week — his GCSEs — after he had to leave when his voice broke.

Returning to Ecclesfield School in Sheffield, he said: “The last year or so has been unbelievable, but it’s over now and I’ve got to knuckle down, and start swotting seriously for my GCSEs.”

Michael Nolan, his head teacher, praised James’s dedication. He said: “James’s ability has shone through and his success has given the rest of the kids a sense of what is possible in life.

“You can argue that he’s fallen behind with his French verbs while he’s been away, but he’s achieved a great deal in the process, and it should stand him in good stead for the rest of his life.”

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #26 - 25. Oct 2005 at 07:05
Print Post  
by the writer of billy elliot.

Cooking With Elvis

Written by Lee Hall

Directed by Gareth Tudor Price

Jill is an overweight teenager who can't stop cooking. Mam is a 38 year-old anorexic who drinks too much and brings younger men home for sex.

They live an uneasy domestic calm with Dad, a former Elvis impersonator, who is now completely paralysed. Enter dim Stuart the cakeman, Mam's new lover, who finds himself at the centre of everyone's sexual frustrations - including Dad's.

While Jill cooks up a storm in the kitchen, emotions reach boiling point.

But can culinary pleasures bring happiness?
Experience decadence, taboo and hilarity in this award-winning black comedy.

'...goes down a storm.'
The Stage

'...glory, glory halleluiah'
The Yorkshire Post

Mon 24th Oct – Sat 29th Hackney Empire 020 8985 2424
Mon 31st Oct – Sat 5th Nov Swan Theatre, Worcester 01905 611427

November
Tue 8th – Sat 12th Lighthouse, Poole 08700 668701
Mon 14th – Sat 19th The Playhouse, Liverpool 0151 709 4776
Mon 21st Nov – Sat 10th Dec Hull Truck Theatre 01482 323638

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #27 - 25. Oct 2005 at 07:36
Print Post  
A broken voice!   C'est la vie!  Sad

I wonder if he gets teased much back at school.. not about his broken voice.. rather for his role as Billy.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #28 - 27. Oct 2005 at 05:47
Print Post  
my six best books.

from the daily express - october 21. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

[i]leon cooke -  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - who has been dancing since he was two chooses his six favourite books :
¬¬¬¬
Gary Glitter Story

by George Tremlett

"an action-packed biogaphy : the life and times of a great glam-rock entertainer."
animal farm

by george orwell

"did mr orwell ever work in a zoo? it's uncanny the way he captures animal's quirky characteristics."
mein kampf

by adolf hitler

"personal inspiring memoir from one of germany's great statesmen.

did he play golf? a pal told me he died in a bunker."
death in venice

by thomas mann

"elton john gave me this book and said i'd enjoy it.

it's about an old man who seems to think a young boy he meets in venice is strangely related to him."
a shropshire lad

by a.e.Housman

"pastoral poems to calm me down amidst the noise and bustle of life back stage."
the world as will and representation

by artur schopenhauer

"thought-provoking philosophy to keep my brain cells functioning."
just kidding, folks Grin

i made that list up.

here are his real-life choices:

noughts and crosses
by marjorie blackman
corgi children's
£6.99

"this book is about slavery. it deals with things that really happen, so you can relate to it. i liked the idea of using noughts and crosses to represent different classes in society"
his dark materials trilogy
by phillip pullman
scholastic point
£21

"the books describe lyra's quest through different worlds to find her friend rick, and her companion will's quest to find his father, both of whom have disappeared. this series lit up my imagination."
the tales of the otori trilogy
by lian hearn
macmillan children's books
£19.99

"set in medieval japan, the story follows takedo, through three books as his supernatural powers get him into lots of trouble. i found myself caught up in his world, the books give you a greater understanding of war and japanese culture."
stormbreaker
by anthony horowitz
walker books
£6.99

"alex rider is the coolest teen spy" the villain, harold sayles, is so believable you even begin to feel sorry for him. and the story has plenty of gadgets and action in it, which makes it better than pointy hats and wands - i can't wait for the film!"
a child called `it`
by dave pelzer
orion
£6.99

i found this horrifying and yet compelling. the mother in the story is a den mother to cub scouts which makes it even more unsettling that she refers to her own son as `it`. very detailed and full of emotion - especially as it is a true story.
artemis fowl: the eternity code
by eoin colfer
puffin books
£5.99

"this fairy-filled adventure continues with the boy genuis and the criminal artemis fowl once again plotting their perfect crime. artemis seeems to me to be a bit more gentle in this book - although this time his enemies are human. i can't wait to read the next one"

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #29 - 29. Oct 2005 at 10:13
Print Post  
You stirrer!!!!!  Grin

Had me going completely... I was thinking "Wow!" this kid must be high on the totem pole of eclectic readers.

I've only read one of his favourites.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Print