Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Låt den rätte komma in (2008) (Read 40,523 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Let the Right One In (2008)
Reply #45 - 30. May 2009 at 05:16
Print Post  
Or I could just tell you, hehe.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #46 - 03. Jun 2009 at 14:26
Print Post  
Ha. Well, I finally found a thread for this movie. It appears that I am fashionably late as usual. I thought I saw this thread in here a while ago and was wondering what all the buzz was about on this forum about a vampire movie.

I finally rented it to see what all the fuss was about. To say the least it was not at all what I expected nor have ever seen in a vampire genre movie.

Of course, I could give a review of this film myself but I can see whatever there is to be said about this film has already been said. The only real thing I can add to this thread is that I was pleasently suprised by the movie and the fact that it wasn't just another rehash of the standard vampire movie but rather it being told through the eyes of a child and done primarily with the main characters being children and essentially turning out to be more of a boy movie than a horror movie.

I'm not going to pick the movie apart or pretend to be Siskil and Ebert. All I really care to say about the movie outside of what's been said already is that I enjoyed it and was entertained by it. I thought it was a rather refreshing take on an already overdone story.

Oscar is a definite cutie as are most scandanavian boys.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #47 - 04. Jun 2009 at 15:38
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 28. May 2009 at 16:01:
Another thing that is elaborated upon in the novel is Eli's gender. The movie clearly shows that Eli is not a girl, but in fact a castrated boy. But it doesn't tell us how this happened. In the novel, flashbacks reveal that he was castrated and tortured by the sadistic vampire who eventually infected him. We also find out that his real name is Elias.

But why did Elias, after having been castrated, decide to adopt a female persona and live as a girl. I don't really know what that says about the author's understanding of gender issues.

Cutting off a boy's thingy doesn't turn him into a girl. Was Elias secretly transgendered before being castrated? Not likely. Perhaps a better explanation is that gender is a human invention. Once you become a vampire, gender ceases to make sense, or you no longer feel any affinity to one gender or the other. We also don't know what he went through after he became a vampire. Perhaps Elias' sadistic masters made him dress as a girl after his transformation and he simply accepted this new persona. It's important to note that Elias doesn't think of himself as female, even though he presents himself as one. (In the later chapters from his perspective, the male pronoun "he" is used, not "she".) Eli never seems to care about the clothes he/she wears. He/she picks a dress out of the closet because it was the one article of clothing that "looked the most worn." Gender just seems like a non-issue to him/her.

Conclusion: it's a very interesting read, which explores many issues only hinted at in the movie. I recommend it.

Ah. Okay. I got it now pretty much. Or as much as I can for the moment. I did look around the web a little bit tonight trying to look into this issue in vampire folklore and did find some discussion about vampires and their various inclinations and habits regarding sexuality and torture of their victims. It was something that was one of the theories I was kicking around in my head after seeing the scene that showed that he appeared to have possibly been a castrated boy. However, I don't like to just assume the obvious about anything without knowing or researching all the facts for myself.

Yeah, you're right that this movie is much more than it appears on the surface. There are many different layers to be explored. Especially after I watched it the second time I would find things that I didn't notice or give much thought to the first time. I imagine if I watch it again I will discover more things and have more questions to answer. Since I will be burning a copy of it I'm sure I'll be watching it many more times in the future.

Thanks for all of the insightful reviews and info on this film.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #48 - 04. Jun 2009 at 17:00
Print Post  
Regarding your comment in the other thread:

Phenom wrote on 04. Jun 2009 at 16:14:
In a related matter...I found it interesting when Eli first told Oskar that she was not a girl and if it mattered to him and/or if he still liked her. However, it didn't seem to bother him and he did still like her. I believe when the were in bed together later and Oskar asked Eli if she wanted to "go steady" with him she mentioned again that she was not a girl. It didn't seem to matter to Oskar weather she was a girl or a boy because he still asked Eli again if she/he wanted to go steady. And apparently she/he accepted.

I guess this also begs the question "what is really going on here 'as far as Oskar is concerned'." I have several theories about this but I would rather hear other people's opinions or takes on this aspect or additional layer of this film. Besides, I haven't been able to go sleep all night (again) and I really gotta get some rest. But that's another issue entirely.

I guess you mean, how is Oskar interpreting her comments "I'm not a girl" and how does it affect his understanding of their relationship.

I also think that's a very interesting question. Oskar has a very naive understanding of sexuality and relationships, even for a 12-year-old. I guess he's a bit of a late bloomer in that sense. But to him, having a girlfriend is just an abstract concept, like a symbolic title.

In the book, he doesn't seem to suspect that Eli is a boy until after he finds out that she's a vampire and she tells him her real name was Elias. He seems almost as shocked by the gender revelation as by the vampire thing. He wonders about how this affects their relationship and thinks about words like "f*g**t" which he's heard other kids at school using.

I want to re-read parts of the book and maybe write some more about this later.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #49 - 05. Jun 2009 at 00:52
Print Post  
I'm looking forward to this book... I've found it in Swedish (audiobook) and I have a roadtrip coming up... sounds like a plan!

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #50 - 06. Jun 2009 at 01:23
Print Post  
Despite my silence, I found this thread as informative as did The Swede and Phenom. I too never caught on that Eli was a damaged boy. Among other points made, I liked the comment about Oskar's innocence with regard to sexuality. He was mostly happy simply to have a friend.

I interpreted that glimpse of Eli's privates as just some weird and unexplained consequence of vampirism. Even if that were unexplained, as I mistakenly imagined, I thought it was an eerie and powerful bit of imagery.

Thanks for an absorbing discussion, people.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #51 - 06. Jun 2009 at 07:19
Print Post  
Glad you enjoyed it.

It seems most people don't understand the scar. I guess you could consider that a flaw of the movie. I don't know how they could've made it clearer without adding some dialogue about it or flashbacks, though, which I think would have been a mistake. I like that the issue is not addressed at all in the movie, making it seem unimportant when in fact it causes you to reinterpret the entire movie, almost.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #52 - 06. Jun 2009 at 16:39
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 06. Jun 2009 at 07:19:
I don't know how they could've made it clearer without adding some dialogue about it or flashbacks, though, which I think would have been a mistake. I like that the issue is not addressed at all in the movie, making it seem unimportant when in fact it causes you to reinterpret the entire movie, almost.

I agree, it would have been a mistake to address it too directly, without officially adding the whole subplot. 

Also, it makes sense to include it for the people who've read the book... movies from books often do that: throw in tidbits that only fans of the book can grasp completely.  I have no problem with that, as a rule!

I'm not sure the scene added or detracted significantly to MY movie experience at the time.  And, like you said, once you KNOW what it is, it can cause you to reanalyze the movie completely (and perhaps even go get the book so you can BETTER understand it). Grin

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #53 - 20. Jun 2009 at 17:02
Print Post  
Well, I have finally read the book (although I actually just listened to the author read the book on CD)!  Great book!  It does explain a lot of things that were fuzzy, and especially deepens the relationships betweeen Eli and Oskar, as well as the "mystery" man.

Well-worth the read.  Thanks for the enticement... now I need to watch the movie again!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #54 - 20. Jun 2009 at 18:24
Print Post  
Just in case anyone out there is thinking of buying the "official US DVD/BlueRay" release of this movie, you might want to think again.  I've heard that the subtitles are completely messed up!

Check out this review!  The review is called "Let the wrong subtitles in to Let the Right One In" and is featured on IMDB.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #55 - 21. Jun 2009 at 14:35
Print Post  
Yeah, I've seen that review before. A few of those examples are really pointless. ("About twelve" vs "Twelve, more or less" for example -- they mean the same thing.) But some of the other ones are pretty bad. The more code not translated, especially!

However, you can always buy the DVD, rip it, then download better subtitles, burn it to DVD. A lot of work, but I'd say it's worth having on DVD for the better picture.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #56 - 21. Jun 2009 at 20:35
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This is pretty amazing.  I just found another post where the distributor is going to release any future copies of the US DVD/BlueRay with the option to select the Theatrical subtitles.  Like that would have been so difficult to include on the original DVD release as well?  It's not like subs take a lot of room!

PS. I'm going to do my own comparison of the two sets of subtitles, to see which is more authentic.  The distributor claims the "new" subs are actually closer to the actual translation.  I have a hard time believing it... and little do they know that SOME people actually speak Swedish AND English!  Mwahaha

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #57 - 22. Jun 2009 at 06:15
Print Post  
I feel ambivalent about the whole "controversy." It's true that there are some obvious mistranslations in the American DVD subtitles. But reading the comments from the people who are complaining about it, it's obvious that most of them don't have a clue how subtitles are made. Everyone is focusing on the differences between the theatrical release and the DVD, but that's in fact irrelevant. Theatrical translations are almost never used for DVD subtitles. It's not a matter of how "easy" this would be, or how much space they take on the disc. It's a matter of copyright. The company distributing the DVD is usually not the same company who was handling the theatrical distribution. So they don't own the rights to the translation. It's cheaper to pay their own translators to re-translate the film than it is to buy the rights to the original translation.

This is what happens in 99% of cases and nobody ever complains about it. There's no reason to expect the subtitles you saw in the theatre to be the same as the ones on the DVD.

From what I can tell, the theatrical translation was far from perfect. A lot of the so-called errors in the new translation I would actually consider improvements. However, there are also some obvious mistakes. The scene where the old guy pours acid over his face and yells out "Eli" is obviously wrong. (You can hear him say "Eli." He doesn't say "I'm trapped.") The scene with the Morse code is also obviously wrong.

I work in subtitling, so I know how these things are done. Both the theatrical and the DVD version were probably translated in a rush. Mistakes or awkward phrasings slipped in to both versions. There are probably just as many mistakes on all the other DVDs of foreign films in your collection (except from certain vendors who take extra care with such details, like Criterion) - it's just that nobody notices or makes a big deal about it on the internet.

So in a sense, I can understand the studio's reply. Which is not to say that I agree with it. Their reply is pretty insulting and contemptuous. I'm pretty sure that the executive who wrote it didn't expect it to be forwarded to the the customer who was complaining about it, who would then obviously post it to the internet. But these people don't give a shit about the films they release. It's just a business to them. They hire freelance translators to do cheap, rushed translations, slap them on the DVD, release it and hope nobody complains. They know that people are going to buy it anyway.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #58 - 22. Jun 2009 at 06:28
Print Post  
I guess so... it just seems so counter-intuitive. I mean, they spend *a lot* of time coming up with the original scripts, with the proper wording, filmography, etc... it would SEEM that the translation should be somewhat important too.  I mean, isn't the script at least a LITTLE important??

I've heard that translations of books can be like that too, which is disturbing.  If a book is great in the original language, but the translation is crap, what's the point of translating it!?

Fortunately, I listened to this book in Swedish, so I got the authentic version, not some random translation.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #59 - 22. Jun 2009 at 13:48
Print Post  
Oh, I totally agree that it's important and that more care should be put into it. You have no idea how infuriating it can be as a translator (or even just as a fan of international cinema working in the industry) to see the way these things are treated.

But that's because the filmmakers themselves are not in charge of the DVD release. The people who make these decisions are boring, uncreative, frustrated business types. Their job is to put out a product that people will pay money for. DVD sales is where the studios the easy money. The film is already done. In some cases, it's already been released. All you have to do is package it with a few slapped on special features and put it on the market. The cheaper and faster they can get this done, the better.

I think with books generally there's a bit more care put into it, probably because words are all you get, so people are more likely to be critical of it. There are still bad translations of works, but it's probably not as widespread as in the DVD world, where subtitles are like an afterthought.

I thought the English translation of Let the Right One In was all right. (Though obviously I can't compare to the original.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Print