Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) let me in trailer (Read 33,228 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: let me in trailer
Reply #30 - 13. Sep 2010 at 05:19
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 12. Sep 2010 at 23:11:
Look, fellow devotees of the Boy Actor, the big question is: Does Kodi Smit-McPhee wear the same neat white undies that Kare Hedebrant wore? Wink

I hope not. That old fashoned style of undies that Americans call tightywhities or whatever went out of fashion here 30 years ago. I'd prefer to see him wearing something a bit more 'normal' such as:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #31 - 13. Sep 2010 at 05:45
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 13. Sep 2010 at 05:19:
I hope not. That old fashoned style of undies that Americans call tightywhities or whatever went out of fashion here 30 years ago. I'd prefer to see him wearing something a bit more 'normal' such as:

If BA had an award for post of the year this would win it  Cool

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #32 - 13. Sep 2010 at 06:09
Print Post  
OrionPax wrote on 13. Sep 2010 at 05:45:
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 13. Sep 2010 at 05:19:

If BA had an award for post of the year this would win it  Cool

Hehe, well I hope I haven't offended any Americans. They can be very sweet at times in their old fashioned ways but in the boys' undies department they are decades out of touch    Smiley

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #33 - 13. Sep 2010 at 13:56
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 13. Sep 2010 at 06:09:
Hehe, well I hope I haven't offended any Americans. They can be very sweet at times in their old fashioned ways but in the boys' undies department they are decades out of touch    Smiley

Maybe we can diffuse a potential flamewar with a joke.

Boy walks into an Ice cream parlor and asks for an ice-cream "I'll have 2 scoops of chocolate please" to which the attendant replies "Sorry we dont have that flavor" "What about banana?" "No we dont have that flavor either" "Butterscotch?" "No" "Strawberry?" "No" "Peppermint?" "No" the boy finally asks "So what flavors do you have?" "We have vanilla" "VANILLA? is that it?" "Yes! we only serve vanilla ice-cream!" "What kind of ice-cream shop only serves vanilla ice-cream?" the boy leaves disappointed and as he leaves the attendant says "Thank you for shopping at the Great American Ice creamery, please come again!"

Sorry that wasn't a joke at all, I've probably just made the situation worse. I'll try better next time  Cheesy

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #34 - 13. Sep 2010 at 14:23
Print Post  
I'm not sure where you guys got the idea that tighty whities were popular in America. There's certainly not a lot of evidence for it in films or on tv.

I think it's an economic thing. The only reason I can think of why parents would wear them for their kids is that they're probably on sale at Walmart or whatever. The ones in Cal's picture definitely look better, but they're probably more expensive than Fruit of the Loom or whatever.

EDIT: Although they are popular as a fetish thing. But that hardly speaks for the general population.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #35 - 13. Sep 2010 at 14:43
Print Post  
josephk wrote on 13. Sep 2010 at 14:23:
I'm not sure where you guys got the idea that tighty whities were popular in America. There's certainly not a lot of evidence for it in films or on tv.

josephk the thing I've noticed is tighty whities seem to be the defacto standard when presenting underwear in TV and movies. Look at the Simpsons for example whenever underwear needs to be represented it is usually the tighty whities they show. I'm certainly not saying this is a case of art imitating life as I will fully acknowledge that America does have colors other than white however you have to admit the range is limited and rather bland compared to other countries.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #36 - 13. Sep 2010 at 16:04
Print Post  
Defacto boys' underwear in the US nowadays seems to be boxers, where the top few inches shows above the outerwear.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #37 - 13. Sep 2010 at 17:03
Print Post  
I'm sure the USA has some nice boys undies. However from my online experience over the years and from watching many many American movies, tightywhities or boxers seem to be the style of choice. I'm reminded of a very recent episode of Sons of Tuscon, where the middle boy had an underwear scene, they were the old fashioned white Y-fronts. If I recall correctly the same style was worn by the Malcolm in the Middle boys at least in the first season. I'd like to be proven wrong but I've seen very little evidence to the contrary. Perhaps it's the preferred style of TV and movie wardrobe departments in the US. Anyway it's not meant to be insulting or to be taken seriously. Watch an episode of the ABC series called The Chaser, plenty of clips on YouTube. We Aussies poke fun at EVERYTHING and everyone, including ourselves.   Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #38 - 14. Sep 2010 at 03:19
Print Post  
I'm not offended or insulted. Just puzzled as to where this idea came from.

It's true that white undies are popular on TV and in movies, but I just haven't noticed this to be more the case in American vs. the rest of the world. It seems to be white undies all over Europe and Asia too, as far as I can tell. Maybe Australia is the big exception here, but I guess I haven't seen enough underwear scenes from Australian media to be able to say.

I still think it's mostly a question of economics. I know I grew up wearing cheap, plain Fruit of the Loom undies that my parents bought at Walmart or whatever department stores we had back then in my part of the world. And that was definitely because it was the easiest and cheapest option. If kids underwear are anything like adult underwear, the nice ones are always more expensive.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #39 - 14. Sep 2010 at 08:01
Print Post  
No, I refuse to engage in a flame war on the topic of undies Cheesy

I wish I were an authority on types of underwear boys in the U.S. wear, apart from in the movies. I suspect they are into things I have yet to dream of. But on the whole, I think JosephK is right: most boys underwear here is bought by mothers and they go for the cheapest.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #40 - 14. Sep 2010 at 11:24
Print Post  
We must be watching very different movies. Apart from period films most European films that I've seen that are set in modern times have boys wearing coloured briefs or boxers. Same goes for S.E.Asian boys in countries like Thailand, etc.  Japan seems to be an exception and they seem to usually follow the American tightywhitie style. This is interesting in a slightly kinky way. I'll think I'll start a separate thread on it with pics. This thread is after all supposed to be about "Let me In".

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #41 - 14. Sep 2010 at 12:07
Print Post  
Yes this sure has gone off topic, I'm not really sure what else needs to be said about either topics but I might as well add my two cents to the "Let me In" portion. As I've mentioned previously I'm not a fan of remakes and from what I've read this remake seems inferior to the original.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #42 - 16. Sep 2010 at 18:02
Print Post  
When did Cal change his name to Cal-Q-L8?!  Shocked

To be honest, I'm sure both of you (Cal and Orion) have seen more international films featuring boy underwears than I have, so I will trust you judgement on this. It's just not something I've noticed, but if you say this is the case then maybe there is some truth to it.

I think this demands serious research with lots of pictures for evidence. And yes, in a separate thread would probably be better.

Get to work, guys.

IP Logged

OrionPax
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #43 - 16. Sep 2010 at 18:16
Print Post  
Actually I'm pretty sure there was a website devoted to underwear in movies somewhere. I'll try to find the url.

I wont post pics but I can write up a lengthy essay on the subject  Cool

IP Logged

St Mule
Silver Member

Reply #44 - 17. Sep 2010 at 04:00
Print Post  
When did Cal change his name to Cal-Q-L8?!

You mean Calculate.  Smiley

Now the trailer for the remake leaves me thinking it is a special effects until you puke movie and has no story like the original.

As for tighty whities, I would put it off to avoiding giving free advertisement for brands that would be clearly recognizable.  I mean, who can tell a pair of Hanes vice Jockeys on a moving boy?  Cheesy

Stubborn Mule

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Print